Thanks for attending my talk "Breaking Our Addiction to the Queue" at Elevate Summit in Philadelphia in the spring of 2017!
Dopamine and other brain chemicals:
- [Book] Leaders Eat Last by Simon Sinek - A deep dive into leadership with a great introduction to the brain chemicals endorphins, dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin, and cortisol.
- [Video] Simon Sinek: Why Leaders Eat Last - This 45-minute video covers all of the brain chemicals referenced in the book.
- Facebook and Your Brain
Strategies for finding time outside the queue:
- When working the support queue, less is more - a blog post about how you can increase support output by finding time out of the queue.
- [Video] Rich Armstrong at UserConf NYC 2013 - How overhiring in support led to Trello - excellent deep dive into how to find "slack" on your support team, from my former manager at Fog Creek.
Setting objectives and influencing the product:
- [Book] Radical Focus: Achieving Your Most Important Goals with Objectives and Key Results - Great, accessible introduction to OKRs.
- [Video] How Google Sets OKRs - I wouldn't religiously follow what's laid out in this video, but it does provide a good deep dive into one of the ways to do it.
- How to convince your product manager that a bug needs to be fixed - quick blog post that covers how to influence product decisions.